
My Grandpa's funeral was on Tuesday this week and it was beautiful. Not something you normally say about a funeral service. Not only was it beautiful but it was very moving. The service at church was so good. It was so fun to hear the memories of my Grandpa. It was fun to see that he was the same with me that he was with my siblings and cousins. I think that is a trait that many of us wish to have. At least I do. My Dad gave this amazing talk about the plan of happiness. When doesn't he give good talks?? But it was so moving and made me so happy, go figure, that some day I will see my loved ones again and live with them forever. Now this is the part of the funeral that moved me the most. We went over to Fort Logan Cemetery and this is what we saw as we got out of our cars.

I have always felt so blessed to have been born in The United States of America. The
feelings I get just thinking about this country and what it stands for brings me to tears. I don't know what I did in the pre-existence to deserve to be here, but I am grateful everyday that I live here. 
We are of Scottish decent (makes sense doesn't it?) so my mom and sisters arranged to have a man there playing his bag pipe. It was very moving to hear that as my

brothers and cousins moved my Grandpa's casket out of the hurst. Then we went to the covered patio and they did this whole presentation about our country and what my Grandpa did for it in WWII. Then they did the 21 gun salute (which Reid and his cousin Gavin said "That was so cool!") and then they folded the flag. They presented it to my mom, shook her hand and my aunts hands and they took
down the colors and left.
The man played the bag pipe again as they folded the flag and left. It was just so moving. I am honored to be the grand daughter of Junior "Tobe" McClellan. What he did for our country in WWII was so brave and he did it wanting nothing in return but freedom and liberty. I loved listening to his stories. That was my favorite thing to do was to sit with him and ask him one question to which I would be there for hours listening to his war stories. They were many and I never tired of hearing them. He flew on a B-17 and was the radio controller. What a blessing it is to call him my Grandpa. Love you Gramps!!
8 comments:
Sounds like such a special funeral. I'm sure your Dad did an amazing job with his talk as ALWAYS! I love the hope and love the Gospel brings even when you are faced with such difficult things as death of a loved one. We are blessed.
Funeral's can be beautiful! I am so glad you had such a wonderful experience at it. Grandpa's are special. I am of Scottish descent too! (Bruce is my maiden name :) It is wonderful to know our loved ones who pass on are happy and in peace with others they love. Hope you are doing well. Miss you
Sounds like such a neat experience came from a sad time. Looks like you are surrounded by great family. and how blessed we are to have the knowledge the Gospel brings. Hope all is well.
Great job on the post!! I couldn't have said it any better than you did. Your pictures are so good- all I have is video so I will need your pictures.
That was a wonderful tribute. I think those who served in World War II are part of one of the best generations. I'm glad it was a good day for you guys.
Military funerals make me extremely emotional. When Tim's grandfather died he received the same honors. There wasn't a dry eye in the family when they played "Taps". Sounds like it was beautiful.
Thank you for the details :) and for the pictures. I really wish I could have been there.
Last night Brett and I went to a church dance (lame) and as we were dancing I remembered when Brett left me to dance with Grandpa Tobe FOREVER at your wedding. It was so awkward at the time but I will always smile now as I remember it.
Wow. That would've been incredible to be able to attend.
Post a Comment